12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me"
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
EMI Abbey Road studios are just 10 minutes black cab ride from my home, If Hikki was too, just day dreaming.........
Posted on: 2009/6/30 5:32
Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me"
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 20, Male, Philippines
nice info :)

i really wish "This One (Cryin Like A Child) be the next single XD
Posted on: 2009/6/28 7:30
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol)
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Channel 4 Tv showcase sessions at Abbey Road Studios (the Studios made famous by the Beatles), ?live at Abbey Road? I think it?s called, Musicians etc perform live and in many cases chat about, their ?whole world of music?.

I could give everything and anything to see Hikki Solo this style and format, plus perform live with her band.
Hikki would comfortably suit the hallowed surrounds, and we could then perhaps experience the whole song writing process and her mystical or rather mischievous use of lyrics.

CBTM mv is at the moment one of my favourites, I would have liked to seen more in commercial breaks.

I certainly subscribe to the notion that international musicians and performers of all styles experience difficulties getting the musical passion and rhythms across; it?s all there, sparking and bright, bathed in glorious sounds.
But so lost in a dull monologue of media and radio interviews that harp on about ?Japanese britney? and record statistics
Posted on: 2009/6/21 2:01
  •  laiwingnang
      laiwingnang
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
I think IDJ did alot this time with TITO,
they scheduled her for plenty of interviews and actually got her on some national shows...
they even did that myspace karaoke contest ...
they pulled out all of stops...
but I think it's radio that's not receptive to CBTM..
most radio stations still didn't even give her ONE test spin despite the fact that she was rising in top 40 rythmic...what happened there? and the moment the promotion stopped, the spins suddenly disappeared in a matter of days???

Who knows, IDJ probably even did a bit of payola or made some sort of deal to get the smaller stations to play CBTM. What happened to the video channels...they wouldn't even play a top 40 rhythmic video while they play others that haven't charted.

Yeah, maybe it's because CBTM doesn't sound like what's hit on radio ...or maybe it's really due to race..
before that Ricky Martin/Macarena wave, radio wouldn't touch latino singers...after that, there was this sudden latino fad...not that they hate Asians, but they just don't want to toy with anything that is unconventional
Posted on: 2009/6/20 11:12
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Not forgetting Oscar winning writer producer & film director Ang Lee?feted and awarded because of his outstanding achievement to film and Cinema. Born 1954 Pingtung Taiwan won 66 national and international film awards (had to all look that up). And that?s the point, Ang Lee is famous for his outstanding films, not for his cultural identity, for me this is want respect and success is all about, recognition, and merit for hard work

CBTM , the promo , and Utada?s close attention to detail was spot on and worked so well. Diva with little naughty horns, a hint of mysticism maybe , the underlying sadness of regret, it worked in every way for me.

Then the interviews started, their seemed a breathtaking lack of control over the way the interviews were conducted, and structured, why on earth did they not make sure the jocks were fully briefed and spoon fed, ?ask this, say that?, A Utada intro should highlight her achievements as a world musician, the songs and sounds carefully chosen to unveiling her abilities as a songwriter . Any references or comparisons to any other artists carefully and deliberately staged managed out, publicists and media PR are paid buckets full of money to make sure this happen.

Look at the way BoA, Wonder Girls , etc are promoted, as some ?Asian invasion?, if one fails we?ll just wheel out another, does this sound natural to you ?

Not cynical, record companies are not charities they are businesses, a couple of weeks work experience at Sony BMG, will clear up any doubt.

The ?breakthrough act?, another meaningless clique.

Let the world come to Asia and find out for itself, Asia with all its rich musical cultural history has nothing to prove.

Neither had Hikki?.
Posted on: 2009/6/17 14:32
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

llama wrote:

I think it's mainly due to a lack of promotion. I haven't heard anything about her on TV or on the radio. I haven't heard Come Back to Me played once. I never heard any buzz about Exodus when it came out, either. For other artists, I see promotions of their new work all the time. But for Utada, if I wasn't seeking out news about her on the internet, I wouldn't hear a thing. I know that her producers have been trying harder to promote her this time, but it's still not enough. Most of my friends don't even know who she is unless they're into J-pop. Once they listen to her music, they like it, but they just simply have never heard of her! I think they need to work even harder to get her name and her music out there. She deserves to do well.

I don't mean to pick on you, but one of the main reasons I posted the radio & airplay info on this board so closely is that I wanted people to have a better understanding of how the business worked: it's easy to say "we need more promotion!" without realizing that the kind of promotion we're talking about comes after the song/artist becomes a hit, not before. Big magazines and TV shows are not going to put a no-name on their cover regardless of label backing.

It's a snowball effect that we saw first-hand with Utada: the interviews she did and store appearances garnered the attention of local radio, which played her more and since the song was showing some early promise it opened the door to Ryan Seacrest and Z100. Utada and IDJ pretty much did everything they could have, at least before she got sick at the album release and essentially left the project moribund.

I think a lot of people subscribe to the cynical notion that big record companies can just pump out pop stars like a factory and manufacture success. That's a myth for the most part. The song has to take off before the artist can score really big media gigs.
Posted on: 2009/6/17 13:23
  •  llama
      llama
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
I honestly don't think it has anything to do with race... it's not impossible for Asian artists, actors, etc. to become recognized in the US. I mean, look at Jackie Chan and Lucy Liu! I'm not Asian, but I have several friends who are and I have also heard them say it could be in part due to Asian culture as well. I have heard that in some parts of Asia it is generally not acceptable to aspire for fame. (Not sure if it's true but that's what my friends have said, and since they're Asian I trust them!) But I honestly don't think the reason Utada isn't breaking out huge is because people refuse to listen to her songs because she is Asian. That would just be silly. After all, if people were hearing her songs on the radio, they wouldn't even know what she looked like.

I think it's mainly due to a lack of promotion. I haven't heard anything about her on TV or on the radio. I haven't heard Come Back to Me played once. I never heard any buzz about Exodus when it came out, either. For other artists, I see promotions of their new work all the time. But for Utada, if I wasn't seeking out news about her on the internet, I wouldn't hear a thing. I know that her producers have been trying harder to promote her this time, but it's still not enough. Most of my friends don't even know who she is unless they're into J-pop. Once they listen to her music, they like it, but they just simply have never heard of her! I think they need to work even harder to get her name and her music out there. She deserves to do well.
Posted on: 2009/6/17 10:08
  •  airac
      airac
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
You're totally right! :D

But if you look at it optimistically, Utada's career in the US REALLY IMPROVED since CBTM surpassed EXODUS' singles/radio plays. Let's hope for the best...I also think that the fear of foreigners of the Americans is gradually being shattered down to pieces since a new batch of Asian are being recognized in the States <specially Filipinos>

If Asia really wanted the west to be recognized/patronized...the countries in Asia should UNITE :))
Posted on: 2009/6/12 16:44
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

--- It's not just about luck... the entertainment and media industry of the U.S. is more than luck, especially when it comes to race politics and Asian American visibility. The same troupes of race politics and Asian American non-visibility and consumption caused CBTM to not take off. Like many Asian American artist, Utada fell trap to these troupes. The U.S. is still not ready for mainstream Asian American talent to surface, this is seen in major film, video, media, and the lack of Asian Americans in them.

You're entitled to think this, but remember there's nothing to suggest "Come Back to Me" was anything other than a song that didn't find its audience, like 90% of all songs that get sent to radio. Keep in mind that most listeners probably had no idea Utada was Asian or even what she looked like at all.
Posted on: 2009/6/12 13:41
  •  teiku5
      teiku5
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L USA
SE7EN is about to have his video premiere on BET on thier popular countdown show, Hikki should of at least done that with CBTM since TRL is gone.
Posted on: 2009/6/2 16:12
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>