Poster Thread
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Re: JYP thinks Utada "failed" in the US
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

Alex0821 wrote:
"Come Back to Me" was the best single Utada could've released in terms of breaking the American market. All of my friends who frankly are xenophobic when it comes to music really liked that song: it blended in with today's mainstream American pop/R&B.

The weak single this time around was Dirty Desire - it was just too strange for US ears. Just because a song is up-beat doesn't mean it makes people want to dance, and Dirty Desire was just weird (I'm speaking for the US market, not for myself). If she wanted a dance hit, it should've been On and On.

By the way, as other people have mentioned, defining success is difficult. If success means "big as Britney," then basically only two or three people a year become successful in the US market (last year would've been Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, and that might even be it). Based on where her singles went on the charts, both Billboard and iTunes, I would say she was moderately successful, especially compared to most foreign artists. And a "failure" doesn't sell-out Irving Plaza in two days.

I agree, to the max! I played the song (CBTM) for a random girl at school and she liked it. But, I have to disagree about Dirty Desire. The weak single from this album was Sanctuary. It wasn't even released in America which means it garnered no attention, or helped sales.
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/4/19 18:37
  •  Kumabear
      Kumabear
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Manila , Philippines
If the record company really cares for the artist , they will promote that artist even if it costs them thousands or even millions of dollars .
Posted on: 2010/4/19 17:28
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
"Come Back to Me" was the best single Utada could've released in terms of breaking the American market. All of my friends who frankly are xenophobic when it comes to music really liked that song: it blended in with today's mainstream American pop/R&B.

The weak single this time around was Dirty Desire - it was just too strange for US ears. Just because a song is up-beat doesn't mean it makes people want to dance, and Dirty Desire was just weird (I'm speaking for the US market, not for myself). If she wanted a dance hit, it should've been On and On.

By the way, as other people have mentioned, defining success is difficult. If success means "big as Britney," then basically only two or three people a year become successful in the US market (last year would've been Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, and that might even be it). Based on where her singles went on the charts, both Billboard and iTunes, I would say she was moderately successful, especially compared to most foreign artists. And a "failure" doesn't sell-out Irving Plaza in two days.
Posted on: 2010/4/19 12:59
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
From reading the opinions of members that are considered the dogs danglies on everything ?Utada? along with our resident Utadanet Kpop aficionados, it's very difficult to define the essence of success?? However commercial success though is auditable for all to see?..

http://www.allkpop.com/2010/04/wonder-girls-to-help-jype-with-their-comeback/comment-page-2

Interview?

http://www.allkpop.com/2009/08/behind_the_scenes_with_the_wonder_girls

JYP could well be about to realize just how difficult, and deceptively elusive that so called formula to break into the North American Market can be?? one thing for sure trying to second guess whether artists who have embarked on that quest and defining what qualities are needed whether personal or professional is a fool?s errand at best ?.only 5% of music bought in the US comes from artists from other countries?

I hope they pull it off, I really do, the amount of time, hard work, and financial investment the Wonder Girls and JYP have devoted and to have to concede defeat will be a bitter blow ?....
Posted on: 2010/4/19 6:05
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
Quote:

DjPho wrote:
Quote:

razzle wrote:
I must confess, Utada's American albums wasn't all that great. Nothing harsh or personal towards her though. I really didn't like that song "come back to me". It sounded like something made for the pop charts. The song had a catch to it but the lyrics were weak. Back in 07 I asked a classmate to download a mixed CD for me featuring artist from Michael Jackson, to INXS etc, and one of the songs happened to be Easy Breezy by Utada. This song is from her 2004 US album. I am pretty sure this person reacted negatively in some way once hearing "you're easy breezy and I'm Japaneezy".

She also had bad songs in her Japanese albums. You gotta listen to the good english songs.

Apple and Cinnamon, Hotel Lobby, Exodus 04, Devil Inside, the chorus of About Me, and Merry xmas Mr. Lawrence FYI.

Yea most of her good songs are Japanese, but most of her bad songs are also Japanese.

I agree, come back to me is weak and so is that Easy Breezy song. Yall are seriously limiting ur scope when it comes to her english songs. If she released as many english ssongs as japanese, she'd have just as many good songs in english.

Come Back To Me wasn't really weak. It's something the American audiance would enjoy. The people who say it is weak or wasn't that good are the people familiar with her japanese works. If you (not DjPho) are not familiar with her other music, then you have nothing to judge it upon.
Posted on: 2010/4/18 13:37
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L Not something you need to know
Quote:

razzle wrote:
I must confess, Utada's American albums wasn't all that great. Nothing harsh or personal towards her though. I really didn't like that song "come back to me". It sounded like something made for the pop charts. The song had a catch to it but the lyrics were weak. Back in 07 I asked a classmate to download a mixed CD for me featuring artist from Michael Jackson, to INXS etc, and one of the songs happened to be Easy Breezy by Utada. This song is from her 2004 US album. I am pretty sure this person reacted negatively in some way once hearing "you're easy breezy and I'm Japaneezy".

She also had bad songs in her Japanese albums. You gotta listen to the good english songs.

Apple and Cinnamon, Hotel Lobby, Exodus 04, Devil Inside, the chorus of About Me, and Merry xmas Mr. Lawrence FYI.

Yea most of her good songs are Japanese, but most of her bad songs are also Japanese.

I agree, come back to me is weak and so is that Easy Breezy song. Yall are seriously limiting ur scope when it comes to her english songs. If she released as many english ssongs as japanese, she'd have just as many good songs in english.

www.youtube.com/fadcAuTra
Posted on: 2010/4/18 5:42
  •  razzle
      razzle
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Posted on: 2010/4/17 22:48
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
Quote:

SimChaoU wrote:
Quote:
"Watching amazing singers like Hikaru Utada from Japan and Coco Lee from China fail was really hard. I was trying to really analyze why these amazing artists couldn't crack the Billboard charts. I came to the conclusion that they changed their color when they moved into the U.S. They became too similar to American artists. They hired major American producers like Timbaland, and they ended up losing their true color," says Park. "I basically wrote and composed the song 'Nobody,' and we didn't change our image or our color coming into the U.S. We remained true to ourselves."

The full article is here:
http://www.billboard.com/#/features/breaking-entering-the-wonder-girls-1004044868.story

What's your take on this?

That's why Nobody was only 79 :P But hey, Nobody was a great song. Anyways, Utada's had billboard #1's such as Koda Kumi, it's just that it's not #1 on the main chart that people pay attention to.
Posted on: 2010/4/17 19:58
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 22/M/Earth
i think utada is a success ^__^v

i love you hikki
Posted on: 2009/12/16 15:54
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

TurtleFu wrote:

All of this comes down to: Just because something is popular doesn't make it good, and just because something is good doesn't mean it is popular.

And just becomes something is popular doesn't mean it's bad. If TITO was to somehow blow up and become a #1 hit on all the charts, that wouldn't demean the quality of the work as is. Whether you like a piece of music or not should have nothing to do with its level of popularity. I have friends who won't, on principle, listen to anything that MTV wouldn't play and I have friends who won't listen to anything MTV does play: both groups are just as judgmental and limited in taste as a result.

Quote:

TurtleFu wrote:
PS: I don't think Lady Gaga is as artificial as many others think

I don't think Lady GaGa the person is, but I think she's diluted her message for mass consumption. Her theatrics are forced and lack an integral kind of conviction, in my opinion. She's never convinced me to believe her, only to watch her. But I'll leave it at that. This isn't a GaGa hate thread. I was just using her as an example of what sells now and won't sell in a decade. I could have used Miley Cyrus just as easily. She's already washed up and she's barely twenty.
Posted on: 2009/12/16 14:18
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...7>