1234...6>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Re: ok whats a "must do" in japan
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Accountancy and Finance, the constantly changing grant structure for many students is a real show stopper, with many jumping ship to neighbouring University Collage London that has adopted a more comprehensive approach to obtaining grant funding than the LSE..

You seemed to have your heads screwed on so Japan will not be so far away ?
Posted on: 2010/3/17 8:36
  •  AXMA47
      AXMA47
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 21/M/HI
@a_kikoo: thxs most likely reschedule it at summer I suppose
Quote:

Pips_Paradise wrote:
Sorry Guys, I have had to sacrifice much to stay on course to gain a good degree, and I have yet to finish my freshman year, on my first day there were 123 students enrolled, after just 9 months we are down to 79, there is no get out of jail free card, I am not sure if it is all going to be worth it, but there will be plenty of time to re-schedule and you will certainly enjoy your experience of Japan without the mid-term stress factor?best of luck?.

yea your right wow what class ur taking? ..lol funny thing though I worked so hard to finish all my spring break homework.. now am pretty much free for spring break..well in the bright side am worry free and maybe we can stay longer in japan if we go in the summer hehe
Posted on: 2010/3/16 10:21
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Sorry Guys, I have had to sacrifice much to stay on course to gain a good degree, and I have yet to finish my freshman year, on my first day there were 123 students enrolled, after just 9 months we are down to 79, there is no get out of jail free card, I am not sure if it is all going to be worth it, but there will be plenty of time to re-schedule and you will certainly enjoy your experience of Japan without the mid-term stress factor?best of luck?.
Posted on: 2010/3/16 8:06
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
Quote:

AXMA47 wrote:
OMG Big Bummer guys looks like am not going been so busy with mid terms.. I called my friend up today he got put on orders a while ago and cant leave.. I would go by my self but that sucks we planned it together guess we will try to reschedule it later..there goes my spring break

awe im sorry to hear that... i hope you guys are able to reschedule it.
Posted on: 2010/3/16 1:42
  •  AXMA47
      AXMA47
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 21/M/HI
OMG Big Bummer guys looks like am not going been so busy with mid terms.. I called my friend up today he got put on orders a while ago and cant leave.. I would go by my self but that sucks we planned it together guess we will try to reschedule it later..there goes my spring break
Posted on: 2010/3/16 0:27
  •  Kumachang
      Kumachang
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
Quote:

a_kikoo wrote:
Quote:

Kumachang wrote:
Quote:

a_kikoo wrote:
Ah I'm sorry.
I'm so bad at explaining...

nah you're not bad at explaining at all O-o but it's simply impossible to explain such things (provided that the other person hasn't achieved an intermediate level of proficiency of japanese)... explaining japanese grammar is extremely complex...

Hahah thanks.

I found myself very much offended my Kumachang's remark TT_TT.

OMG sorry i didn't mean it that way erm i was trying to cheer a_kikoo up because i know how complicated it is :x... erm my english sucks so i might express things in a rather rude way without noticing sorry about that :x erm what i meant was that it's difficult to explain grammar without having to give an overview of a whole grammar chapter know what i mean? lol sorry :x

erm natta is the informal past tense of naru if that's what you wanted to know!

e.g.
informal (when talking to friends, family,...)

shiawase ni naru - to become happy/someone becomes happy
shiawase ni natta - (someone) became happy

formal/polite

shiawase ni narimasu - to become happy/someone becomes happy
shiawase ni narimashita - to become happy/someone becomes happy

sorry for being off-topic
Posted on: 2010/3/1 4:19
  •  Salomonis
      Salomonis
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 2777/M/Tennessee
Quote:

a_kikoo wrote:
"Natta" is "naru" used with the "ni" particle.

Usually you put the words koto(こと) or you(よう) in front of "natta" to use it with a verb. In this case, koto and you will be used as a noun but it doesn't mean something in particular. For example:

- Nihon ni iku koto ni natta - Its been decided that I'm going to Japan.

- Undou suru you ni natta - I started to exercise.

Its quite hard to explain.

Hopefully this doesn't confuse you more. It is important to remember that Japanese only has 2 verb tenses(past and present). In order to say something in the future, they would use details like ashita(tomorrow). The question then is "how do you say something in the present that describes a future event or process?". This is known as a present participle. "I am typing this message." In English we take the verb and add -ing generally. It gets complicated if the verb is passive(to be). We don't say "I am aming a doctor." Rather "I am becoming a doctor" So you can think of (koto ni) or (you ni) as -ing ending to become. So literally translating Nihon ni iku koto ni natta would be
"To Japan to go becoming". Obviously we wouldn't say that in English but the meaning is there. Subjects are implied a lot in Japanese, in this case it would be I (watashi wa)
So you'd get "It is the case(it's been decided) that I'm going to Japan." Since starting a sentence with an indefinite pronoun is considered bad English "I am in a process of going to Japan." With "Undou suru you ni natta"
"Excercise to do (exercising) becoming" would be "I am in the process of exercising." "I started to exercise" has a similar meaning. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what it sounds like.
Posted on: 2010/2/28 22:08
  •  kjazz
      kjazz
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Some more stuff.

I recommend you make it to at least Kyoto as it is a city that takes you back in time. Some world famouse sites include: Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavillion), Ryoan-ji (most famous zen rock garden), Kiyomizu-dera (a famous temple on the hillside with one of the best view points of Kyoto), near Kiyomizu, there is a walking street that has the traditional townhouse style buildings but unfortunately many shops are geared to tourists, another walking street is Nishiki market that is a block north of the main downtown street. Toji temple (oldest pagoda) south of the train station has a flea market I think the last sunday of the month and you can find some kool stuff there. The Gion is the traditional geisha area/bars (you can't get in without an introduction but you might see geisha or maiko going to appointments). The Kyoto Train Station is a very modern building and you can take escalators to the top to see Kyoto. At the base of the Kyoto Tower building just north of the station is a JNTO tourist service agency office. They speak english and give you maps or directions to where you want to go in the city. (There is also an office in Tokyo so it helps to get some directions rather than being lost.)

Japan is not the easiest country to travel in if you don't speak or read some Japanese. You might go to your local Japanese restaurant and see if you can translate some food dishes you like so you can order it. Most restaurants have models of what they serve so you can always just point to order. I'd also recommend buying a phrase book. You can also find a guide book at your local library too.

Other:
- Nara has Todaiji Temple which has live deer and the largest wood building housing a large buddha statue.
- Best castle is Himeji Castle in Himeji south of Kobe.
- If you make it to Hiroshima, a stop south is where you can take a ferry using the rail pass to Miyajima (famous floating shrine with the Tori gate in the sea)

This distance would make good use of the rail pass. Read up on being able to reserve a seat on the bullet train. At the many JR stations there is a green colored JR train office where you are able to make a train and seat reservations to other cities. They do allow standbys but you might get stuck in a smoking car or standing if it's crowded.
Posted on: 2010/2/28 19:29
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

a_kikoo wrote:
Quote:

Kumachang wrote:
Quote:

a_kikoo wrote:
Ah I'm sorry.
I'm so bad at explaining...

nah you're not bad at explaining at all O-o but it's simply impossible to explain such things (provided that the other person hasn't achieved an intermediate level of proficiency of japanese)... explaining japanese grammar is extremely complex...

Hahah thanks.

I found myself very much offended my Kumachang's remark TT_TT.
Posted on: 2010/2/28 15:34
  •  meekobiscuit
      meekobiscuit
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 35/M/L.A.
Crepes!
Posted on: 2010/2/28 13:08
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...6>