•  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Firstlove
      Firstlove
How did you hear about Utada ?
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L high school student
So I want to know how you heard of Utada :D

3 years ago I was on Youtube looking for a video of a japanese drama, and the song for the video was First Love, I loved the song so I looked her up and now my favorite song is First love, ever since then I have been listening to her music ^.^
Posted on: 2010/10/13 15:26
  •  cube
      cube
Re: How did you hear about Utada ?
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/M/NY
I first heard her from the Kingdom Hearts 2 ads. After I heard Sanctuary, I looked her up on YouTube and watched all of Utada United. I've been hooked ever since. She also got me into the Japanese language, I'm learning it now and have discovered a ton of new music like Kiyoharu, Sakanaction, Kyosuke Himuro...

Edit: I remembered something I discovered around a year ago! While trying to catch up with her music, I heard Can You Keep A Secret. It sounded vaguely familiar, then I remembered it from a Japanese music video I saw on TV years ago of a girl singing to a robot. I remember having that song in my head all day. I looked it up last year and it turns out that the video was shown as part of some foreign artists week on MTV, so I guess I heard Utada's music first from MTV, altough I wouldn't look her up until Kingdom Hearts II, years later.
Posted on: 2010/10/13 16:01
  •  hikki_is_my_homegirl
      hikki_is_my_homegirl
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 30-US
Kingdom Hearts, I would play the intro video over and over again just to hear simple and clean, when I finally got a computer I started downloading her songs and was in love, the 1st japanese artist id ever heard of or listen to, I found out infor on her and downloading albums and song, and since then I have been under her spell, she's also gotten me more into the japanese culture as well as wanting to learn the lanauage, plus I wanna write and sing an enitre album in japanese, love her!!!!
Posted on: 2010/10/13 16:45
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUNKXsyuTYM

Do I hear Kremlin Dusk noises?
Posted on: 2010/10/13 16:49
  •  Josh_Shing
      Josh_Shing
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/M/Washington
I found her thru KH too, but by accident. I only played KH for about 10 minutes and swapped it out for Tekken 5. I wanted ACTION. I did like the song "dearly beloved" so i looked for it and, instead, "passion" came up. I saw the name Utada Hikaru and, honestly, i thought it was a guy. I was very new to reading japanese names and i just assumed it was a guy, though i wasn't sure. So i looked up Passion and watched the PV for it and thought "tha hell is this?? This isn't the song!" I actually thought it was completely weird and so foreign But a few days later I came back and watched the entire video. And i got more interested and kept watching more videos on youtube and i grew to love her
Posted on: 2010/10/13 21:10
  •  山本_passion
      山本_passion
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15.
yeah i found out about her from KH...but that was when I was younger, around 9 years old? I remember I didn't really care for the song simple and clean at first(now it's my favorite song from her), but then after I beat the game I got out the book with the lyrics to the song and read along with the song. And then..I forgot about her. Until KH2 came out and I downloaded passion. Then darekano negaiga kanau koro..then keep tryin(which I kinda hated at first). I think when I downloaded One night magic that really made me love utada.
Posted on: 2010/10/13 21:38
  •  lexus91
      lexus91
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/M/Indonesia
The first song that i heard was simple and clean from kingdom hearts, then i get to know there is the japanese version which is hikari.. I love both songs.. then KH 2 appears and again passion and sanctuary hooked me up.. not far after that my friends give me sakura drops mp3.. from that poin on there's no turning back.. I completely fallen for her :P

especially after i watched the utada united vids.. I fall in love even deeper LOL...

the songs that makes me completely fallen for her,, also become my all time fave (i think) wait and see ~Risk~
Posted on: 2010/10/14 3:12
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 18/M/TX
Yeah for me it was the first Kingdom Hearts. I didn't have the game but I saw commercials and was REALLY in love with Simple and Clean. Then as the years went by, me and my best friend kept searching for her music and more about her personality till we realized we were in love!
Posted on: 2010/11/2 23:23
  •  EezyBreezy
      EezyBreezy
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 21/F/Canada
Looks like I'm one of the few who discovered her before ever knowing what Kingdom Hearts was. xD Haha.

It was late 2002, and at the time I was browsing this one site called 'Nanokiero.' Anyway that was a site that provided PVs for various Japanese artists. I was there for Do As Infinity. (still one of my fave bands by the way, eight years later <3)

Anyway, on the forums there, Utada was basically the only discussion there ever was. So naturally I decided to try her out. I downloaded the Sakura Drops PV.

... And hated it. I tried out her song First Love and hated it. Tried out Automatic and thought it was boring.

A while later I decided to give her another chance and tried out Traveling. I hated it; I thought it was horribly repetetive and obnoxious.
I tried 'Simple and Clean' and thought it was whiny and terrible and basically growled any time it was brought up.

Any site I browsed, this "overrated" artist was all that was ever talked about.

I hated her.

Four years later of very vocally hating Utada, I accidentally heard the song Sanctuary after mindlessly browsing on YouTube. I loved it. As I was listening to it, all I could think was "... Is this Utada? This is way too GOOD to be Utada! It can't be!"

Then from there, I listened to "Blue," and loved it. I loved "Making Love", and "Keep Tryin'" and so on.

I purchased the albm Ultra Blue the very next day.

Then I went back and listened to all those songs listed above, and suddenly found that I liked them all a lot.

Tadah! Fan of Utada. Took me a while, but I made it. x3

My favorite albums are Heart Station, This is the One, and Ultra Blue and Distance are tied for third place.
Posted on: 2010/11/24 23:52
  •  Hikaru_Kuma
      Hikaru_Kuma
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
My brother, he loves GBA and NDS games. 6 years ago he introduced me to KH on GBA. He said "It's a great game and in the end there is a wonderful song." At that time I really didn't care about that. After a few months I started to play KH GBA, the game was really cool and after I beat the boss, Simple and Clean was played. OMG, I was addicted to this song. At that time I didn't know what its name was or who sang it and I didn't surf the web back days. So I recorded it with my family camera and brought it with me everywhere and one day I gave it to my friend to listen, she said it "sounds familiar." The day after she gave me the Deep River CD. I brought it home and discovered that Hikari was Simple and Clean Japanese version. After a few months I returned the CD to my friend and said, "From now on, Utada Hikaru is my idol."
Posted on: 2010/11/25 1:40
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>