Bottom    Previous Topic    Next Topic
Poster Thread
Utada's Myspace About Me Section Updated
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 16/M/IN
Utada's About Me Section Has Been Updated With New Information

Here's What It Says:

Utada

When I start making a song, for one second I see an amazing view?and in that instant, it cracks and falls to pieces. Then the rest of the process is trying to put the pieces back together. So when it feels familiar, when I see what I saw in that moment the song was conceived, then I know it?s done.?Utada

Hikaru Utada is one of the biggest pop stars in the universe. Over the last ten years, her accomplishments in Japan are simply staggering. Her 1999 debut First Love is the country's biggest-selling album of all time, and three of her albums rank among the Top Ten best-sellers. She has had 12 Number One hits, including four songs in Japan's all-time Top 100. 2001's Distance had the largest first-week sales for any album in Japanese music history, selling an astonishing three million copies. In total, the young singer has sold more than 52 million albums.

But unlike most pop starlets around the world, Utada is also a songwriter and producer; indeed, she says that she thinks of herself as a composer more than as a performer. And on her new Island Def Jam album?ten self-penned songs produced by the powerhouse producers Stargate (Ne-Yo, Rihanna, Beyonce) and Tricky (Britney Spears, Madonna, Mariah Carey)?26-year-old Utada reveals the unique sense of songcraft that is poised to make her a force in the US and European music communities.

"I wanted to make something that?s accessible but not cheap?not low-class or stupid, but still appealing to a wide audience," says Utada. "I like to make music that?s multi-layered. You might like a song and want to dance, but not really dive into the lyrics and analyze them. And then if you?re more bookish and you like words, you might notice the references I make, to Captain Picard or Freddie Mercury or Winona Ryder.

"Both things are just as important to me?to be catchy, so when you hear a song on the radio it sticks out, and also to have that depth."

In conversation, Utada is endlessly surprising, instantly shattering any expectations or stereotypes. The list of heroes and influences that she cites?from the Cocteau Twins to Conan O'Brien, from author Roald Dahl to the Notorious B.I.G.?is unpredictable but extremely telling. "I like smart people," she says. "Not whether you're educated or not, just whether you have that spark, that light in your attic."

Born and raised in Manhattan and educated at Columbia University, Hikaru Utada grew up surrounded by music. Her father, Teruzane Utada, was an accomplished musician and producer, and her mother, Keiko Fuji, was a successful Japanese enka (ballad) singer. Utada spent her youth shuttling between New York City and Tokyo, but her most consistent home was the recording studio. By age 11, she had written and recorded her first song, and by the time she graduated from junior high school, she had been signed by EMI Records; her first album, Precious, was recorded in English, but didn't come out in the US because of business problems at the label; it was subsequently released in Japan.

After moving to Tokyo full-time, she began recording in Japanese, and her debut album in that language, First Love, was an explosive, historic success. Since then, she has had five Number One albums in Japan?most recently, Heart Station in 2008, which was the year's best-selling non-compilation album.

http://www.myspace.com/thisisutada
Posted on: 2009/2/3 14:12
Subject Poster Date
     Re: Utada's Myspace About Me Section Updated Josh_Shing 2009/2/3 16:35
     Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated FunkyStrawberries 2009/2/3 18:31
       Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3 2009/2/3 23:42
     Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated Macdan 2009/2/4 7:18
       Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3 2009/2/4 22:33
         Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated juniper 2009/2/4 22:50
           Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated Josh_Shing 2009/2/5 0:24
             Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated scott_o_k 2009/2/5 2:01
               Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated Truten 2009/2/5 2:22
     Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated Macdan 2009/2/5 7:41
       Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated SwallowTail 2009/2/5 20:45
       Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3 2009/2/5 22:58
         Re: Utada Macdan 2009/2/6 9:19
           Re: Utada <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3 2009/2/7 11:00
             Re: Utada SwallowTail 2009/2/8 20:47
               Re: Utada <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3 2009/2/8 22:15
                 Re: Utada InS0mN1@c 2009/2/9 0:24
     Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated Macdan 2009/2/9 4:21
       Re: Utadas Myspace About Me Section Updated Amaterasu 2009/2/9 9:35
         Re: Utada Macdan 2009/2/10 6:58
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic