Poster Thread
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol)
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

llama wrote:

I think it's mainly due to a lack of promotion. I haven't heard anything about her on TV or on the radio. I haven't heard Come Back to Me played once. I never heard any buzz about Exodus when it came out, either. For other artists, I see promotions of their new work all the time. But for Utada, if I wasn't seeking out news about her on the internet, I wouldn't hear a thing. I know that her producers have been trying harder to promote her this time, but it's still not enough. Most of my friends don't even know who she is unless they're into J-pop. Once they listen to her music, they like it, but they just simply have never heard of her! I think they need to work even harder to get her name and her music out there. She deserves to do well.

I don't mean to pick on you, but one of the main reasons I posted the radio & airplay info on this board so closely is that I wanted people to have a better understanding of how the business worked: it's easy to say "we need more promotion!" without realizing that the kind of promotion we're talking about comes after the song/artist becomes a hit, not before. Big magazines and TV shows are not going to put a no-name on their cover regardless of label backing.

It's a snowball effect that we saw first-hand with Utada: the interviews she did and store appearances garnered the attention of local radio, which played her more and since the song was showing some early promise it opened the door to Ryan Seacrest and Z100. Utada and IDJ pretty much did everything they could have, at least before she got sick at the album release and essentially left the project moribund.

I think a lot of people subscribe to the cynical notion that big record companies can just pump out pop stars like a factory and manufacture success. That's a myth for the most part. The song has to take off before the artist can score really big media gigs.
Posted on: 2009/6/17 13:23
Subject Poster Date
     Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) Truten 2009/5/21 6:29
       Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) knitoe 2009/5/21 8:06
         Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) teiku5 2009/5/21 13:15
     Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) tomakun 2009/5/21 13:35
       Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) TadakoXIII 2009/5/21 19:23
         Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) Shurikid 2009/5/21 19:47
         Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) scott_o_k 2009/5/25 3:08
           Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) driftingsymfony 2009/5/26 17:27
             Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) teiku5 2009/6/2 16:12
             Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) scott_o_k 2009/6/12 13:41
               Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) airac 2009/6/12 16:44
                 Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) llama 2009/6/17 10:08
                   Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) scott_o_k 2009/6/17 13:23
                     Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) Pips_Paradise 2009/6/17 14:32
                       Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) laiwingnang 2009/6/20 11:12
                         Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" (lol) Pips_Paradise 2009/6/21 2:01
     Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" hikkifanraul 2009/6/28 7:30
       Re: Eulogy for "Come Back to Me" Pips_Paradise 2009/6/30 5:32
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic