Poster Thread
  •  Meruru
      Meruru
Re: Another Utada fan appears
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 19/F/Lisbon
Quote:

Bizzaro wrote:
Haha, my mom never fails to tell me that the Japanese word for thank you comes from the Portuguese word for thank you, because the Japanese used to trade with the Portuguese wayy back in the day....

Obrigado ~ Arigatou

They are similar, but many people argue whether or not it actually does come from Portuguese. It would be cool if it did!

Indeed! And arigato is not the only one, there are a lot of japanese vocabulary very similar to portuguese words. I just never heard anyone contesting it...I even learned it from my History books! The Portuguese were the first ocidental people to get to Japan. There were lots of examples in my History book... many words they use are "engrish" versions of portuguese words. I think the word "tea" itself comes from the portuguese itself. "Ocha" in japanese (I think) "Ch?" in portuguese. They even have their own version of a cake we have here named "P?o-de-l?", named "Kasutera" in japanese, similar to our "Castela". Also, we taught japanese people Tempura!

Yes, you're totally right, all thanks to trading, centuries ago! There are even some famous japanese paintings and descriptions from the day the ocidental men (Portuguese sailors in this case) stepped on the japanese islands. We were portraied and viewed as smelly people with HUGE noses!!
Posted on: 2006/3/7 19:11
Subject Poster Date
     Re: Another Utada fan appears Bizzaro 2006/3/7 17:59
       Re: Another Utada fan appears Meruru 2006/3/7 18:14
         Re: Another Utada fan appears Bizzaro 2006/3/7 18:36
           Re: Another Utada fan appears Meruru 2006/3/7 19:11
             Re: Another Utada fan appears berryz 2006/3/7 21:08
               Re: Another Utada fan appears clgan 2006/3/8 6:08
                 Re: Another Utada fan appears -kairi- 2006/3/8 8:15
                   Re: Another Utada fan appears tombraiderjmm 2006/3/8 14:18
                     Re: Another Utada fan appears Lily 2006/3/8 23:33
                 Re: Another Utada fan appears Meruru 2006/3/12 11:28