Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
  Did Hikki-chan Out -Sell Britney Spears??

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12345>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  cmap
      cmap
Did Hikki-chan Out -Sell Britney Spears??
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
I don't know if this is an accurate statement, but according to my limited research, Hikki's "EXODUS" album may have out-sold the extremely popular singer Britney Spears' "Blackout" album so far.

Quoting Wikipedia (which may or may not be a reliable source), "Exodus became Utada's fourth consecutive release to debut at #1 and boast 500,000+ first-week sales. It had a chart run of twenty weeks on the Oricon and saw her reach #1 on the World United Charts a second time,[15]" Yet, so far, Britney's latest album "Blackout" has only sold a little over 400,000 in the first week. According to AOL Entertainment News, TMZ, "'Blackout' is now officially a total and utter flop. It has sold a total of 430,000 copies after a full month of release, according to the ever-perspicacious FOX News, and it's going nowhere fast."

Not to hate on Britney or any of her work, but it seems like although Hikki's work has more "chart strength", if you will, in comparison to a well known and quite popular American star. So what does Island Def Jam have to expect from their next Hikki-chan investment? What do we, as her fans predict???

I find it interesting that an artist such as Hikki (who faced racism during interviews, low spin amounts of her singles, and little-to-no national coverage) may end up having greater staying power on the American music charts than some of the most popular artists. Of course... EXODUS was only her first U.S. record, but what do you think?

Posted on: 2007/11/23 11:27
  •  AnimeLunatic01
      AnimeLunatic01
Re: Did Hikki-chan Out -Sell Britney Spears??
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Male
Im to lazy to look up that kind of information so i really dont know.
Posted on: 2007/11/23 11:33
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

cmap wrote:
I don't know if this is an accurate statement, but according to my limited research, Hikki's "EXODUS" album may have out-sold the extremely popular singer Britney Spears' "Blackout" album so far.

Quoting Wikipedia (which may or may not be a reliable source), "Exodus became Utada's fourth consecutive release to debut at #1 and boast 500,000+ first-week sales. It had a chart run of twenty weeks on the Oricon and saw her reach #1 on the World United Charts a second time,[15]" Yet, so far, Britney's latest album "Blackout" has only sold a little over 400,000 in the first week. According to AOL Entertainment News, TMZ, "'Blackout' is now officially a total and utter flop. It has sold a total of 430,000 copies after a full month of release, according to the ever-perspicacious FOX News, and it's going nowhere fast."

Not to hate on Britney or any of her work, but it seems like although Hikki's work has more "chart strength", if you will, in comparison to a well known and quite popular American star. So what does Island Def Jam have to expect from their next Hikki-chan investment? What do we, as her fans predict???

I find it interesting that an artist such as Hikki (who faced racism during interviews, low spin amounts of her singles, and little-to-no national coverage) may end up having greater staying power on the American music charts than some of the most popular artists. Of course... EXODUS was only her first U.S. record, but what do you think?

I don't think you can make that kind of conclusion. People spend millions of dollar of research to arrive at that kind of statement.

It's not that I don't agree with you, it's just that there are a lot of factor that need to be accounted for.
Posted on: 2007/11/23 11:46
  •  Sanosuke
      Sanosuke
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L
Do some more research, yes? Hikki failed in America in terms of album sales. Exodus only sold about 30,000 copies here in the States, where as most of her sales were in Japan.
Posted on: 2007/11/23 13:18
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 14(16 now)/Male/CA
Um...you also must consider that this is 2007. and that was 2004. The industry is deteriorating quickly. Utada hasn't beat Britney. Yet.
Posted on: 2007/11/23 13:42
  •  cmap
      cmap
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L

I did a little bit more research as I was asked! Yes, she did do very poorly in the U.S. THANK YOU, for showing me where I was mistaken!

Looking further into this, the 500,000+ sales were world wide sales, not U.S. sales.

So, due to this; I think that unless Def Jam plans on major promotion of her work as well as making her show up to more "red-carpet" events, her next album may have similar sales.

This brings to mind another question, in the face of a better appreciation of Asian culture (from films like Memoirs of a Geisha, Babel, etc.)do you think her new album will have a better chance??

I want to be optomistic about this, but I don't think that it will do well because of the last album. Maybe more input from a variety of producers will make this album a success. I appreciated some of Timbaland's input, but what would Wyclef Jean bring to the mix? Or RJD2? Any rock producers you can think of?
Posted on: 2007/11/23 13:58
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Again, there are tons of factors that need to be taken into account to determine if Hikki would do well on her next album.

Any prediction like that is mere speculation.
Your best bet is to just wait and see how well she does when it comes out.
Posted on: 2007/11/23 14:07
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 14(16 now)/Male/CA
Actually, didn't Exodus sell 1,000,000 copies in Japan?
Posted on: 2007/11/23 15:51
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
Hikki out sells spear's anyday
Posted on: 2007/11/23 18:35
  •  jreuij
      jreuij
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L female
why are we even comparing the two??
Posted on: 2007/11/23 19:05
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12345>