Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
What's wrong with Avex?
guest_Unregistered

I decided to put this kind of thread because it really bothers me, especially Avex is really caught in a problem, specifically JYJ and Avex's discontinuance of support from them (since because SM Entertainment broke ties with them).

I wanna know your thoughts about this. And don't question anything regarding the set-up of this thread. Thank you.
Posted on: 2010/10/5 22:01
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Re: What's wrong with Avex?
guest_Unregistered
I have gathered some of the topics or problems about Avex. But you may add and discuss it all here.

- Ayumi Hamasaki was treated as a "product" rather than an artist.

- Iconiq is marketed as a Japanese rather than a Korean.

- Three Tohoshinki members, which have filed a lawsuit against their Korean company SM Entertainment, form JYJ; Avex puts JYJ Japanese activities on hold; Avex dropped JYJ because of Shoujo Jidai.

- JYJ: ?We can?t shake off the thought that Avex was using the three of us as tools to make more profits instead of treating us as artists.?

But also if there is something K-Pop here again, it is recommended to continue this in the K-Pop thread.
Posted on: 2010/10/5 22:07
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Kevin please read .....from April 2010 ....these agencies have issues.....all on record.....

http://community.livejournal.com/aramatheydidnt/712231.html
Posted on: 2010/10/6 7:34
  •  TurtleFu
      TurtleFu
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
*sigh*

First of all, avex is a music company. They are focused on one thing and one thing only: profit. To chastise them for doing just that is extremely naive.
Second of all, don't pretend any of the singers under avex have any sort of deep artistic need to put out their music. They are ALSO interested in the same thing: profit. If they weren't interested in making money and just putting out music, THEY WOULDN'T SIGN WITH AVEX.

- Hamasaki Ayumi IS a product, and her facade of being some sort "artist" is shallow and tiresome. She makes pop music (that she doesn't even compose), and she is a half-decent lyricist. She didn't even get popular until avex started producing and marketing as a pop-dance artist. Song for XX is really her only artistically significant work, if anything.
- Iconiq is marketed as Japanese because she IS Japanese. There are not usually forms listed in Japan that says "ethnicity" in the musician profiles. The lack of mention of her non-avex releases? Because they aren't in avex, and thus there may be a legal holding them back.
- Tohoshinki/JYJ are the same as Ayumi, and particularly less of "artists" than she is because at least SHE writes all her own lyrics. Tohoshinki/JYJ are an idol group, meticulously groomed and manufactured by a huge entertainment company with one sole purpose: profit (there it goes again!)
There are legal problems with JYJ releases because of their contract dispute with SM. That's really it. avex done what they should have: they did what made the most profit. They have every right to not release or promote any future JYJ releases, while also selling what they have already produced. What, do you expect avex to just let their extremely profitable merchandise sit in a warehouse?
Posted on: 2010/10/6 12:17
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
There is one Avex statement regarding Korean girl group 2NE1 considering to be the female counterpart of Tohoshinki, and Avex like them to sign, since 2NE1's Korean record label, YG Entertainment and the founder/CEO Yang Hyun Suk stated that 2NE1 is confirmed to debut in Japan next year, and Avex maybe their label in Japan.

But as you all see, YG artists is signed to many japanese labels: Universal Music Japan (Big Bang), Nexstar Records and Columbia Music Entertainment (Se7en). If 2NE1 will sign to Avex, all YG products to be distributed in Japan will have them own by Avex in terms of distribution, as well as all over Asia (just like SM Entertainment and Fluxus Entertainment in Korea, in which all artists under the label have them distributed by Avex all over Asia).

Disclaimer: Something K-Pop again? Continue at the K-Pop thread.

2NE1 to sign for Avex in 2011? Looks like somebody's at it again...
Posted on: 2010/10/6 21:08
  •  aquaticdragons
      aquaticdragons
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/F/Los Angeles
Why is Avex trying to bring 2ne1 when they have an awesome, I mean the BEST female group = DREAM!!!

Music Vides
Perfect Girls

Breakout

My Way Ulala

Ev'rybody Alright!

Performances
Perfect Girls performance

To The Top performance

Breakout performance

Fantastrip performance

Get My Way performance
Posted on: 2010/10/6 22:51
  •  TurtleFu
      TurtleFu
Re: Whats wrong with Avex?
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
The agreements each foreign entertainment company has with avex is not one-size-fits-all.
avex is a large company, so it is much easier to have them sign with avex and get distributed throughout Asia.
There is nothing wrong with that.
I'm going to say this:
If Utada signed with avex, there is not way she would be the same artist she is today. They would not allow her the same artistic freedom and musicianship that her current label does.
Posted on: 2010/10/7 18:31
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

TurtleFu wrote:

If Utada signed with avex, there is not way she would be the same artist she is today. They would not allow her the same artistic freedom and musicianship that her current label does.

Koda and Ayumi got in the door late. They got bullied a lot. Namie had it pretty smooth from day one but didn't really wrote anything on her own til 1999 or so. It's simple based on how consistent you are. Day after tomorrow did really good during their time. Misono is granted a lot of freedom as an artist due to it.

Ayumi being a product still being super micro managed isn't true at all though. She just found a style she liked and worked with it since 2005 or so. She was granted a lot more artistic freedom after that falling out with the big wigs too.
If you you feel her approach is still drone-like then that's your opinion. Her past year of mediocre works has been completely on her. Max did a good job with her in the beginning anyways I feel. Duty and I am... were super solid.

Avex has a history of manhandling artist, they are tough to impress and they want assured success. If Utada release first love under Avex she'd however be producing for other Avex artists best believe it. Quick commercial success means you can do what you want with those guys.

And also to add, EMI were absolute dicks to Shiina when she got signed in 1998. She had to do 3 successful singles for them to say that her take on music was marketable. She did all in one year though XD
Posted on: 2010/10/8 7:09
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Korean Courts Get Rid Of Slave Contracts......It is all over, finished ......

Quote ?After the numerous lawsuits against major entertainment companies occurred, the Korean government finally intervened and now the courts have invalidated any contract longer than 7 years and will not allow a company to control their artist?s private lives?..........

http://blog.mtviggy.com/2010/08/13/korean-courts-get-rid-of-slave-contracts/

Avex Japan's whole business model is based on a false premise, and is now due process of law 'Fiat justitia ruat coelum'....

http://lovetohateme.wordpress.com/2009/08/02/a-glimpse-of-sm-entertainments-unfair-contract/

Read and Weep .....!!!!

http://www.allkpop.com/2010/02/lee-soo-man-resigns-from-sm-entertainment-avex-sells-shares

Lee soo man thought he was untouchable, it is now inevitable Avex will be dragged down with SM Entertainment
.....Corrupt to it?s very core ...... ?Avex sold all 15.4% of their shares, with Neowizbugs acquiring the majority of it?.....

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/keyDevelopments?symbol=041510.KQ

S.M. ENTERTAINMENT Co.,Ltd. announced that Neowiz Internet Corporation has sold 799,203 shares of the Company, equivalent to a 5.13% stake.

After the transaction, Neowiz Internet and its related party's combined stake in the Company has declined to 10.29% from 15.42%. .....and then .........

http://www.alacrastore.com/storecontent/Thomson_M&A/Neowiz_Bugs_Corp_acquires_Neowiz_Internet_Co_Ltd_from_Neowiz_Corp-2149821040

Lee Soo Man is using Neowiz to prop up S.M.E.......it?s outrageous ....

http://markets.ft.com/tearsheets/businessProfile.asp?s=A104200:KOE

Edit.....Busted bang to rights........-34.74%

Little wonder that Matsuura Katsuhito ? "You have no idea how big a hit AVEX has taken. It is hard for me to talk about this because I have to consider the standpoint of Korean agency SM Entertainment, but I will try to make [Tohoshinki] remain for [the group's] Japanese fan club 'bigeast'"........

This is just the tip of the iceberg you ask what wrong with Avex...??????
Posted on: 2010/10/8 11:07
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Re: What
guest_Unregistered
There are also some rumors regarding Japanese singer Sifow. She put her music career on hiatus in 2008 because Avex was pressuring her too much? And the release of Ayumi Hamasaki's A BEST in direct competition with Hikki's DISTANCE way back nine years ago. Avex forced Hamasaki to release that one but failed to outsold Hikki's DISTANCE by more than a hundred thousand copies (Distance: 4.46 million; A Best: 4.3 million). She also added that it was VERY early for release.
Posted on: 2010/10/8 20:19
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>